Sexual Health Victoria offers a range of sexual health services for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, and asexual/aromantic community
Sexual Health Victoria provides reproductive and sexual health clinical services to LGBTIQA+ clients through our clinics. We have a broad range of clinical experience and skills that meet the needs of LGBTIQA+ clients accessing our services, whatever age you are.
- General sexual and reproductive health checks
- Cervical screening for people with a cervix
- Contraception and medical abortion (the abortion pill) for people who can fall pregnant
- Hormonal IUD insertion for people who might want to manage their menstrual cycle
- PrEP prescription for people who are at risk of HIV
To show our commitment to our LGBTIQA+ clients, we are currently undergoing Rainbow Tick accreditation. The Rainbow Tick accreditation provides a framework and standards to ensure the quality of care and services the organisation provides are safe and inclusive for LGBTIQA+ people in the community we work with. This process may take up to 2 years to complete.
LGBTIQA+ Inclusive Language Guide
The way we communicate within our community is imperative to building a more inclusive society. We need to ensure that every person feels seen, valued, and supported. A way to do this is by using language that is respectful, accurate and relevant to all. This includes the way we communicate with others, but also how we communicate about them.
Relationships and Sexuality Education
Sexual Health Victoria also provides a range of services and resources that support schools in providing inclusive relationships and sexuality education, assisting them to meet the requirements of the Victorian curriculum. For more information, please visit Schools.
Other helpful organisations
- Thorne Harbour Health (formerly known as VAC) an organisation that has a long history working with LGBTI communities and people living with or affected by HIV. Thorne Harbour Health also runs a clinic called Equinox, a peer led trans and gender diverse & non-binary health service.
- Women’s Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE) - A Victoria-wide, free, generalist information, support and referral service run by women for women.
- Star Observer LGBTI Community Organizations and Services Directory - A comprehensive, state-by-state list of community services and organisations available for you to reach out to that can cater to your needs or interests.
- TransHub - a digital information and resource platform for all trans and gender diverse (TGD) people.
- Minus18 - for same-sex attracted and gender diverse young people in Australia.
- Royal Children's Hospital Gender Service - for gender questioning young people.
- IHRA - Intersex Human Rights Association
- Intersex Peer Support Australia
- Q Life - A national telephone and web counselling and referral service for LGBTI people.